American Society of Newspaper EditorsEdit
The American Society of Newspaper Editors, or ASNE, adopted an ethics code in 1922 as the "Canons of Journalism." It was revised and renamed "Statement of Principles" in 1975. It has eight paragraphs.
- Article 1: Responsibility -- The purpose of journalism is to inform people and enable "them to make judgments on the issues of the time. ... The American press was made free ... also to bring an independent scrutiny to bear on the forces of power in the society."
- Article 2: "Freedom of the press belongs to the people. It must be defended ..."
- Article 3: Independence -- Avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Article 4: Truth and Accuracy -- Includes freedom from bias and correcting errors.
- Article 5: Impartiality -- Division between news reports and opinion.
- Article 6: Fair Play -- Includes "common standards of decency," right of response, pledges of confidentiality must be honored and not given lightly. "Unless there is clear and pressing need to maintain confidences, sources of information should be identified."
- External link
- American Society of Newspaper Editors ethics code
Society of Professional JournalistsEdit
SPJ's ethics code consists of a preamble and four sections:
- Seek Truth and Report It
- Minimize Harm
- Act Independently
- Be Accountable
- External link
U.S. professional associationsEdit
- National Press Photographers Association
- Radio-Television News Directors Association
- Society of American Business Editors and Writers
- Arizona Republic
- Asbury Park Press, Neptune, N.J.
- Associated Press Managing Editors
- Chicago Tribune
- The Daily Press, Newport News, Va.
- The Dallas Morning News
- Deseret News, Salt Lake City
- Dow Jones
- The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- The Herald-Times, Bloomington, Ind.
- Houston Chronicle
- The Journal Gazette, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- The Journal News, White Plains, N.Y.
- The Kansas City Star
- Knight Ridder
- Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star
- Los Angeles Times
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- The News-Gazette, Champaign, Ill.
- The News Journal, Newcastle
- The News-Times, Danbury, CT
- The Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel
- The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- The Record, Hackensack, NJ
- Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch
- The Roanoke Times
- San Antonio Express-News
- San Francisco Chronicle
- San Jose Mercury News
- The Seattle Times
- Statesman Journal, Salem, Ore.:
- The Tampa Tribune
- The Tribune-Democrat, Johnstown, Pa.
- The Washington Post
- Wisconsin State Journal
- The Virginian-Pilot, Norfolk
- York (Pa.) Daily Record
Related article: Ethics