The Watercooler is an area for general discussion.
Welcome to the Journawiki project. If you have any questions about how to work with this site, feel free to leave a note here, or contact Maurreen or Andrew by leaving a message on their "talk" pages, User talk:Maurreen and User talk:Fuzheado. You can sign your name by typing four tildes like this: ~~~~ Fuzheado 09:34, 15 Mar 2005 (GMT)
Anyone have thoughts on a possible logo? Maurreen 20:31, 12 Mar 2005 (GMT)
Scientific journals Edit
Should Journawiki include information about scientific journals?
The focus of Journawiki appears to be on mass-media, rather than more focused periodicals. I'm also not sure if the same information is available for science journals. But I do know they're a much lucrative advertising market than mass-media as the audience is both very narrowly defined and working with other people's money. - Amgine 16:35, 6 Jan 2006 (UTC)
- Hi, Amgine. You've been busy. Hope you're doing well.
- I'm ambivalent about including scientific journals. But I lean toward being open. Maurreen 03:13, 7 Jan 2006 (UTC)
journalist as a gatekeeper Edit
what do you think about the the idea of "journalist as a gatekeeper"? do you think this role is less significant in nowadays world? -- posted by User:126.96.36.199
- Personally I think the role is relevant to the setting. In the USA mainstream media, particularly cable video news, this role is more significant than it was, say, 30 years ago. This is much less the case in all forms of news media in most middle east countries, where new press in traditional and new media are rapidly developing. - Amgine 15:43, 8 March 2006 (UTC)
- Another thing, it seems like most of the news material that bloggers deal with had already been brought to light by traditional news organizations. Maurreen 17:37, 11 March 2006 (UTC)
Whooaaaa, this place is quite, any ideas to attract more people?
- Welcome! Thanks for the company!
- I haven't given this a lot of publicity. Some people say it's a neat idea but apparently they don't have enough time or interest to do anything with it.
- Some journalists are vehemently against wikis. And some people think the scope is somehow much more limited than it, for instance, thinking it's focused on "citizen journalism" or somesuch.
- So I have been discouraged and wary but trying to keep slogging away until we could get at least few regular contributors at a time.
- I had been making some effort to develop a niche. You know, build a better mousetrap in one particular area. More TK. Maurreen 06:17, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
- Anyway, I had been debating with myself somewhat on focusing myself mainly on specific newspaper companies, or newspapers, or maybe copy editing or business. Etc.
- I can elaborate on any of this, or we can go in a whole 'nother direction, after I hear from you again. Maurreen 06:22, 25 August 2006 (UTC)